Local Roundup — Oct. 18, 2022
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!
As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.
Now, more than ever, we need your support.
Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.
Subscribe Nowor call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.
Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.00 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.00 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 18/10/2022 (1219 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Seniors urged to get flu vaccine
With flu season about to kick off in Manitoba, the province has expanded eligibility for the high-dose influenza vaccine to include all people 65 years and older.
People older than 65 are more vulnerable to “greater risk of severe illness,” a press release issued by the province Monday said.
The high-dose flu vaccine, previously only available to older individuals living in remote northern communities, personal care homes or other group facilities, offers the “strongest protection available” against the illness.
Expanding eligibility of the high-dose vaccine will help older people stay healthy and active in the coming months, said Scott Johnston, minister of seniors and long-term care, in the release.
“This is an important improvement in Manitoba’s seasonal flu campaign,” Johnston said. “I would encourage all Manitoban seniors to schedule a vaccine appointment as soon as possible.”
Dr. Brent Roussin, chief provincial public health officer, called vaccination one of the “best tools” available to help reduce the spread and severity of respiratory viruses such as influenza and COVID-19.
“Public health encourages all Manitobans to be up to date on all of the vaccines you’re eligible for,” Roussin said.
The high-dose and regular flu vaccine are available at no cost. The Pneu-P-23 vaccine, which helps protect against pneumococcal disease, is also offered free of charge to people aged 65 and older. It can be administered at the same time as other vaccines and is often available at many of the same locations, the province said.
An advertising campaign will launch later this week to highlight the importance of the seasonal flu vaccine as part of overall winter wellness, the province announced.
One dead following traffic collision
Shoal Lake RCMP is investigating a two-vehicle collision that took place in the RM of Yellowhead Friday and resulted in the death of a 55-year-old man.
Police received word of the collision around 1:35 p.m. and attended the scene of the crash at the intersection of Highway 42 and Road 139 West, located around six kilometres west of Shoal Lake.
A followup investigation revealed that a 61-year-old man driving a semi-truck was travelling north on Road 139 West and turned onto Highway 42 when it was not safe to do so.
As a result, the 61-year-old collided with another semi-truck driven by a 55-year-old from Shoal Lake and heading west.
The 55-year-old driver, who was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash, was declared dead at the scene.
The 61-year-old driver sustained some minor injuries.
BPS investigating break-and-enter spree
Brandon police are investigating a string of break-ins that took place in the city’s south-central area throughout the last week.
Brandon Police Service received multiple reports of break-ins in this area between Oct. 10 and last Sunday, with the main targets being sheds, garages and unlocked vehicles. The items stolen throughout this time include various tools and pieces of personal identification.
While no suspects have been identified as of Monday afternoon, police believe the incidents are connected.
Anyone with information regarding this break-and-enter spree is encouraged to contact BPS by calling 204-729-2345 or visiting brandon.ca/police-contact/police-contact.
Police are also encouraging residents to lock their sheds, garages and vehicles to deter thieves.
Three arrested for theft
Local police recently arrested three people for their alleged involvement in a series of thefts in northern Brandon.
Police became aware of the incidents at 7:05 p.m. Sunday, when they were called to a business in the 800 block of 18th Street North over a theft complaint.
A followup investigation led police to conduct a vehicle stop a short time later, where the suspects were allegedly found to be in possession of numerous stolen items from several stores in the area.
A 39-year-old-man was charged with theft and was scheduled to appear in court Monday.
A 30-year-old man and a 40-year-old woman were also arrested for possession of property obtained by crime and are slated to appear in court Dec. 19.
» The Brandon Sun