Russell man charged with threatening Mounties pleads guilty
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!
As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.
Now, more than ever, we need your support.
Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.
Subscribe Nowor call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.
Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.00 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.00 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
A Russell man has pleaded guilty to threatening police officers and public officials.
Michael Man, 45, pleaded guilty to three counts of uttering threats in Brandon provincial court on Tuesday.
Man was previously convicted of a single count of uttering threats after taking the matter to trial, but he hasn’t been sentenced yet for that offence.
The Brandon courthouse entrance on 11th Street. (Matt Goerzen/The Brandon Sun files)
Crown attorney Caroline Lacey briefly highlighted the facts behind Man’s guilty pleas.
On Jan. 30, 2025, Russell RCMP received several complaints about Man sending threatening messages, some of them being directed toward police.
In these messages, Lacey said Man accused people of calling him a pedophile and expressed his unhappiness with a local animal rescue group.
She said the most concerning message said, “Typical worthless pig f—s in costumes came here to harass me for taking pictures … Next time that happens, I’ll wait for supper hour and kick in their door and get the whole family.”
On Sept. 8, 2025, a police officer received email chains between Man and a Brandon Correctional Centre employee.
In those emails, Man made comments about his treatment while being incarcerated and at one point wrote, “I’m going to have absolutely no choice but to hunt the provincial and federal employees responsible for my stay.”
On Nov. 6, 2025, Saskatchewan RCMP contacted the Russell RCMP and said they had been notified of threats being sent to Pattison Media.
In the email, Man said, “F— the police. Only good cops are dead cops. Nobody seems to want to release the details of the three pig f—s that violently assaulted me at gunpoint in the dark as vigilante justice.”
He continued by writing, “I know the RCMP member personally, and he’s going to find himself thrown through the woodchipper out on his front lawn.”
The court ordered a pre-sentence report for Man, which is a document written by a probation officer outlining the offender’s background to help the judge determine an appropriate sentence.
Man’s matter will appear on an administrative docket in March, when the lawyers are expected to set a sentencing date.
» sanderson@brandonsun.com