Free youth transit ‘smarter’ approach: Kinew

Advertisement

Advertise with us

The provincial government’s free transit program for youth is a “smarter” model than returning to 50-50 funding, Premier Wab Kinew said, hinting that it could be extended at some point to seniors.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!

As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.

Now, more than ever, we need your support.

Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.

Subscribe Now

or call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.

Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on brandonsun.com
  • Read the Brandon Sun E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
Start now

*Your next Free Press subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

The provincial government’s free transit program for youth is a “smarter” model than returning to 50-50 funding, Premier Wab Kinew said, hinting that it could be extended at some point to seniors.

“If we were to just go back to 50-50, the approach of the past … what do we get for it? Would we get more stops? Would we get free transit for youth? Probably not,” Kinew told reporters in Brandon last Thursday following his State of the Province address.

Brandon and Winnipeg’s transit union earlier this month held a rally at the legislature to advocate for the return of 50-50 funding between municipalities and the province, which was cut in 2017 by the Progressive Conservative government.

Brandon Mayor Jeff Fawcett speaks at Tuesday evening’s council meeting. (Alex Lambert/The Brandon Sun)

Brandon Mayor Jeff Fawcett speaks at Tuesday evening’s council meeting. (Alex Lambert/The Brandon Sun)

Municipal officials in Brandon and Winnipeg have said they also want to see a return to the 50-50 model.

“I think targeting new transit investments to specific outcomes is probably a smarter way for us to get more bang for the buck,” Kinew said.

The NDP premier said if the free transit program for youth goes well, “probably we’ll come back before long and say, ‘OK, let’s make transit free for seniors.’”

Kinew said the youth program helps save parents money and builds good habits, as the bus is a more environmentally friendly mode of transport compared to separate vehicles.

The provincial budget earmarks a combined $10 million for the five municipalities that have transit systems — Brandon, Winnipeg, Selkirk, Thompson and Flin Flon — to help recuperate costs of youth not having to pay fares or buy passes.

The president of Brandon and Winnipeg’s transit union said the youth program is a “great start,” but that the union is disappointed with the premier not returning his government to 50-50 funding.

“I don’t think the $10 million is even close enough to cover the costs of what’s there,” James Van Gerwen said.

Provincial funding for Brandon Transit has stagnated at just over $2 million since 2016 after the province stopped matching funding. The city’s funding, in contrast, has risen to $5.2 million.

The City of Winnipeg is slated to spend about $128.6 million this year on its bus service, compared to the province’s $42-million share, which has also stayed flat since the old funding model was cut.

“We are feeling it, and over time it’s just getting worse and worse,” Van Gerwen said about the effects of a smaller share of funding.

He said the free transit program for youth will help create longtime riders and be better for the environment, but it won’t keep up with ridership or staffing levels, or aid stress already felt by existing staff.

“The city has to decide on if they want new buses or if they need to have somebody to drive that new bus, so it shouldn’t be a choice,” Van Gerwen said.

In the years since provincial funding was effectively frozen, Brandon has reduced the number of buses on some routes and lowered service on Sundays and holidays.

Brandon Mayor Jeff Fawcett said Tuesday that the premier’s position is consistent with what the city has previously heard, but that Brandon will continue to work on getting “one-off” funding from the province, including grants or other one-time payments.

Fawcett said investment in transit is important for the community, as maintenance costs rise and demand has largely done the same.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew, seen here delivering the state of the province address in Brandon last Thursday, said if the free transit program for youth goes well, “probably we’ll come back before long and say, ‘OK, let’s make transit free for seniors.’” (Tim Smith/The Brandon Sun files)

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew, seen here delivering the state of the province address in Brandon last Thursday, said if the free transit program for youth goes well, “probably we’ll come back before long and say, ‘OK, let’s make transit free for seniors.’” (Tim Smith/The Brandon Sun files)

He expects the city will continue to advocate for a restoration of 50-50 funding, but noted that Brandon is already “going to the province for an awful lot of things.”

“This may not be the top priority, and if the province is at the time sort of suggesting that it isn’t for them either, then I think we’re going to stick to the things that we know we can get done,” Fawcett said.

The city would be “very open” to the program being expanded to seniors or other people, he said, adding that providing free transit for youth is good in theory, though logistics are still being worked out.

A provincial spokesperson said the $10 million in this year’s budget will mean there will be no loss in revenue for the cities with public transit, calling it “revenue neutral.”

The province is working with each municipality individually to implement the program, with a planned rollout for the fall, in time for the school year, said Caedmon Malowany, spokesperson for Municipal Relations Minister Glen Simard.

He said there will be a big announcement early next month, and there is no end date for the program currently.

Van Gerwen said the union will continue to advocate for 50-50 transit funding.

“We’ve known for years that … this is the proper way to help with the transit system by properly funding it, and the cities can’t do it alone. They need help from the province and the federal government to make this happen,” he said.

Kinew said the province is working with the cards it was dealt when it came into power in October 2023.

“We have to be smart about the investments we make in the future,” the premier said.

» alambert@brandonsun.com

Report Error Submit a Tip

Local

LOAD LOCAL ARTICLES