Local Roundup — May 21, 2026

Advertisement

Advertise with us

WEAPON OFFENCES

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!

As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.

Now, more than ever, we need your support.

Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.

Subscribe Now

or call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.

Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on brandonsun.com
  • Read the Brandon Sun E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
Start now

*Your next Free Press subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

WEAPON OFFENCES

Police charged three people with weapon-related offences after responding to a disturbance in Sapotaweyak Cree Nation on Monday.

Swan River RCMP responded to the report at around 12:20 a.m. and learned that three suspects were armed with weapons, RCMP said in a news release Wednesday.

The RCMP logo. (The Canadian Press files)
The RCMP logo. (The Canadian Press files)

Police said one was armed with a pellet gun and the other two with machetes.

The suspect with the pellet gun reportedly shot at people outside, and windows at a residence had been smashed, Mounties said. No injuries were reported.

The suspects left the scene.

At around noon that same day, police found the three suspects in a vehicle while conducting a traffic stop, police said.

Officers searched a 25-year-old Brandon man and found he had a machete and a loaded pellet pistol, police said. Officers also found a rifle and a hatchet in the vehicle, the release said.

Christian Thomas Cook faces several charges, including carrying a concealed weapon and illegal possession of a weapon.

Police charged a 16-year-old boy from Sapotaweyak Cree Nation with resisting a peace officer and two counts each of illegally possessing a weapon and possessing a weapon contrary to court orders.

Cook and the 16-year-old were remanded into custody.

Mounties additionally charged a 14-year-old boy from Swan River with possessing a weapon and several counts of failing to comply with conditions of his release order.

He received a sentence of probation for the charges earlier this week.

PAIR OF ASSAULTS

Mounties arrested a Dauphin man twice in one week after two alleged assaults.

RCMP responded to report of an assault at a restaurant on the 1500 block of Main Street in Dauphin at around 4:10 a.m. last Friday.

Police learned the suspect had gotten into an argument with a 47-year-old man he was sitting with, took the man’s cane and hit him with it before leaving the restaurant with the cane, RCMP said in a news release Wednesday.

The man did not need medical attention, police said.

Police arrested the suspect and released him from custody on conditions later that day.

Mounties responded to another report of an assault at a store on First Avenue Northeast at around 1:20 p.m. on Monday.

Officers learned that the suspect, who is banned from the store, had been in the parking lot and a 16-year-old employee told him he shouldn’t be on the property, RCMP said.

Police said the man threatened the boy and briefly walked away before he returned and threw a rock at him. The boy was not injured.

Mounties arrested a suspect shortly after.

Raiden Oshawee, 21, is charged with robbery, assault with a weapon and uttering threats. He was remanded into custody.

6 INJURED IN CRASH

Mounties are investigating the cause of a collision in Ebb and Flow First Nation on Saturday that left six people injured — one of whom was transported by air ambulance to a hospital in Winnipeg.

Ste. Rose du Lac RCMP responded to the two-vehicle collision at the intersection of Lake Road Northeast and Point Road South at around 7:15 p.m., police said in a news release Wednesday.

The collision involved an SUV and a side-by-side.

The five passengers travelling in the side-by-side were injured “to varying degrees,” RCMP said.

Air ambulance transported a 17-year-old boy from the scene to a hospital in Winnipeg and the 21-year-old woman who was driving the side-by-side was taken to the hospital in Dauphin before being transported to Winnipeg for further treatment, police said.

Both remained in the hospital as of Wednesday afternoon.

Mounties said the three other passengers — an 18-year-old woman, an 11-year-old girl and a one-year-old girl — were treated at the hospital in Dauphin and released.

The 34-year-old woman who was the driver of the SUV ran from the scene, police said. Officers found her at a nearby home and transported her to the hospital in Dauphin.

» The Brandon Sun

Report Error Submit a Tip

Local

LOAD LOCAL ARTICLES