Assiniboine Community College announced this year’s One to Watch award on Thursday, recognizing 54 students for their various achievements throughout the 2020-21 academic year.
According to a news release from ACC, all of these recipients were selected based on a specific set of criteria that includes: academic merit, leadership, contributions to student life, community involvement and volunteerism.
While One to Watch awards are usually presented in person at a Student Achievement Celebration dinner, this year’s ceremony couldn’t take place due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
However, ACC officials used Thursday’s news release to give at least three students a platform to publicly accept these awards.
For example, Arriane Flor Morales walked away with an award for her work in the Practical Nursing program, which gave her time to reflect on all the obstacles she has overcome throughout the last two years at ACC.
"I have faced several challenges on my way here, but each one of them has only strengthened me and made me the person I am today; someone who sets her eyes on a goal and never gives up on any hurdles, until it is achieved," Morales said.
Meanwhile, Mature Student High School graduate Kristen Paul said clinching a One to Watch award was a pleasant surprise after completing her studies.
"My heart has been warmed from all the positive support and encouragement I have received from my instructors and my student advisor during my time at Assiniboine," Paul said. "Knowing that someone took the time and effort to put my name forward for this award brings tears of joy to my eyes."
Finally, business graduate Kaylah Pascoe Foy wanted to thank her instructors for making her feel at home, since it had been a while since she had immersed herself in a classroom setting.
"I challenged myself over the last two years, and really stepped out of my comfort zone," Foy said. "It is rewarding to be selected to receive this award for all my hard work."
Here is a complete list of the recipients of the 2021 ACC One to Watch awards:
• Kristen Paul (Mature Student High School)
• Anna-Maria Ogg (Mature Student High School)
School of Agriculture & Environment
• Jaryn Orr (Agribusiness)
• Sakhnoor Kaur (Baking Foundations)
• Andriy Kovalenko (Civil Technician)
• Shieldon Sanchez (Civil Technology: Municipal Engineering)
• Devon Nelson (Communications Engineering Technology: Wireless)
• Anh Khoa Lam (Culinary Arts)
• Hanna Weflen (Environmental Technologies: Land & Water Management)
• Denisse Novoa Pena (Food Processing)
• Cameron Mcateer (Geographic Information Systems)
• Leanne Plewes (Horticulture Production)
• Sukhsimran Kaur (Hotel & Restaurant Management)
• Lakhveer Kaur (Sustainable Food Systems)
School of Business
• Serag Alfarek (Accounting)
• Krista Hall (Business Administration: Accounting)
• Mandi Szabo (Business Administration: Accounting)
• Janelle Ryzner (Business Administration: Financial Services)
• Kaylah Pascoe Foy (Business Administration: Human Resource Management)
• Hanna Momotiuk (Business Administration: Human Resource Management)
• Michael Peters (Business Administration: Marketing)
• Lorrie Roulette (General Business)
• Joyce Emeaba (Finance)
• Courtney Leask (Human Resource Management)
• Michalina Lojek (Interactive Media Arts: Interactive)
• Collin Nickel (Interactive Media Arts: Media)
• Kelsy Leitch (Legal Administration)
• Rolanda Chaske (Medical Administration)
• Alicia Nass (Network Administration Technology)
• Tania Allain (Office Management)
• Svetlana Medovol (Office Skills)
School of Health & Human Services
• Ranjot Singh (Early Childhood Education)
• Cheryl Champion (Education Assistant)
• Brooklyn Chartrand (Police Studies)
• Ayla Pont (Social Service Worker)
• Stacy Beaulieu (Child Development Worker)
• Tricia Houle (Child Development Worker)
School of Nursing
• Charmaine Beardy (Comprehensive Health Care Aide)
• Emon Hossain (Comprehensive Health Care Aide)
• Nichole Huska (Comprehensive Health Care Aide)
• Logan Sutherland (Comprehensive Health Care Aide)
• Jon Matthew Lucero (Practical Nursing)
• Arriane Flor Morales (Practical Nursing)
• Samuel Nemis (Practical Nursing)
• Cher-Lyn Stefanson (Practical Nursing)
School of Trades
• Keith Mousseau (Applied Plumbing Installation)
• Gurmanjit Mahal (Automotive Technician)
• Brent Perrin (Carpentry and Woodworking)
• Zachary Zurba (Construction Electrician)
• Nicholae Peters (Heavy Duty Equipment Technician)
• Keegan Burt (Industrial Metals Fabrication)
• Ty Loewen (Piping Trades)
• Kingsley Koni (Power Engineering)
• Jaylyn Fraser (Welding Conestoga)
» The Brandon Sun