Immigration minister looking into revoking terror suspect’s citizenship

Advertisement

Advertise with us

OTTAWA - Immigration Minister Marc Miller says he plans to look into whether the man accused of plotting a terror attack in Toronto should have his Canadian citizenship revoked.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!

As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.

Now, more than ever, we need your support.

Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.

Subscribe Now

or call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.

Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on brandonsun.com
  • Read the Brandon Sun E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
Start now

*Your next Free Press subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 14/08/2024 (739 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

OTTAWA – Immigration Minister Marc Miller says he plans to look into whether the man accused of plotting a terror attack in Toronto should have his Canadian citizenship revoked.

Ahmed Fouad Mostafa Eldidi, 62, and his son Mostafa Eldidi, 26, were arrested in Richmond Hill, Ont., and face nine terrorism charges including conspiracy to commit murder on behalf of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

When the RCMP announced the charges on July 31 they said the two men were “in the advanced stages of planning a serious, violent attack in Toronto.”

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Minister Marc Miller is seen during an interview with La Presse Canadienne in his parliamentary office, Friday, May 31, 2024 in Ottawa. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Minister Marc Miller is seen during an interview with La Presse Canadienne in his parliamentary office, Friday, May 31, 2024 in Ottawa. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

The elder Eldidi, who is a Canadian citizen, is also charged with one count of aggravated assault outside the country.

“I think Canadians deserve answers. I’m going to get to the bottom of it. I’m also going to take the next step, which is to start the preliminary work with the evidence at hand to look at whether the individual in question’s citizenship should be revoked,” Miller said during a news conference in Church Point, N.S., on Wednesday.

According to federal legislation, Canada has the ability to revoke a person’s citizenship if they obtained it by providing false information or hiding relevant facts.

Many questions regarding the two men remain unanswered. The government is not commenting on either of their status in the country, citing privacy law concerns.

However, Miller said he’s tasked his deputy minister with establishing a timeline of events explaining how the elder Eldidi became a citizen.

Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc said last week that his department and the immigration department have launched an internal review regarding the case.

How much information will be shared by the government following the review is unclear.

“I’m as disgusted as any Canadian, but I have a responsibility to get to the bottom of it, and I will,” Miller said.

“The information that I can share in the context of criminal proceedings may be limited, but I want to make sure, first and foremost, that Canadians are safe and that we do not compromise an ongoing court case.”

Members of Parliament on the public safety and national security committee voted unanimously on Tuesday to launch a study on the terror suspects arrested in the Toronto area last month.

The committee will also aim to figure out how the father obtained citizenship and will invite the immigration and public safety ministers to testify.

Committee hearings are slated to begin on the week of Aug. 26.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 14, 2024.

Report Error Submit a Tip

National

LOAD NATIONAL ARTICLES