Alberta sex assault victim tells sentencing hearing she forgives attacker

Advertisement

Advertise with us

CALGARY - One of three vulnerable women sexually assaulted by a man at a rural home near Calgary told a sentencing hearing Tuesday that she forgives her attacker.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!

As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.

Now, more than ever, we need your support.

Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.

Subscribe Now

or call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.

Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on brandonsun.com
  • Read the Brandon Sun E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
Start now

*Your next Free Press subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

CALGARY – One of three vulnerable women sexually assaulted by a man at a rural home near Calgary told a sentencing hearing Tuesday that she forgives her attacker.

Aimee Ert, who successfully requested the court lift the publication ban on her name, said she still suffers anxiety and pain but hopes Richard Robert Mantha gets the help he needs to be a better person.

“I learned in my recovery how to forgive, and today I’m going to say I forgive Richard Mantha … for myself, not for him,” Ert said in court. 

Robert Mantha's rural property is seen in Langdon, Alta., Monday, April 10, 2023. Mantha was accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting seven women east of Calgary. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Robert Mantha's rural property is seen in Langdon, Alta., Monday, April 10, 2023. Mantha was accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting seven women east of Calgary. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

“I also am forgiving myself for allowing him to hurt me. However, I will never forget what he did to me. I have struggled on a daily basis to get through everything that I have experienced in the past.”

Mantha, 62, was convicted of six offences, including drugging one of his victims, between 2019 and 2023. He was also found guilty of uttering threats against a fourth woman.

Court heard most of the victims worked in the sex trade.

Ert, who read her impact statement, previously testified that she was drugged, choked and sexually assaulted after she agreed to go with Mantha to his acreage east of Calgary. She was able to escape, running from the property partially clothed.

“I’ve gone through this experience with him in my head on a regular basis, not knowing whether or not I put myself in that position and whether or not it was my fault,” she said Tuesday, addressing Mantha in the prisoner’s box.

“I do know no one deserves what you put me through.

“I don’t know if he was hurt by someone in his life that created that thought in his mind that it was OK to treat anyone else that way. I know I’m not a judge. But if it were me, I’d ask him to get some serious counselling if he thinks what he did to me was OK.”

Mantha, wearing a blue prison jumpsuit, sat quietly in the prisoner’s box, appearing frail and showing little change in expression during the proceedings.

Crown prosecutor Dominique Mathurin said Mantha deserves a prison sentence of 10 to 13 years.

“It is an attack upon the sense of security, autonomy and self-worth of the victim,” she told Justice Judith Shriar.

Mathurin said Mantha preyed on those with difficult personal challenges, including what Ert revealed in her statement.

“As she’s living the worst moment of her life, he’s laughing,” she said.

The trial, which started in January 2024, faced several lengthy delays because Mantha fired previous lawyers and had a stroke.

Justin Dean, Mantha’s lawyer, called the Crown’s sentence request excessive and urged instead a sentence in the five to seven-year range.  Dean pointed out his client’s previous criminal record has been property crimes and drug charges.

“There’s no violence contained in his record,” Dean said. “He clearly has been impacted by the charges and the prosecution and the stigma of the social impact of being a convicted sex offender.”

Dean said Mantha has been assaulted 10 times since he was arrested. He said his client’s health is poor and he is unable to speak.

“The individual who perpetrated those offences is no longer the individual that is sitting in that box,” he said.

Mantha attempted to speak at his sentencing but it was unintelligible.

The case is expected back in court Sept. 17.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug.18, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

National

LOAD NATIONAL ARTICLES