Complaints against Saskatchewan judge in sexual assault trial put on pause

Advertisement

Advertise with us

REGINA - The Canadian Judicial Council says a review of complaints against a Saskatchewan judge has been put on hold until there is a court decision on an appeal in the case.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!

As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.

Now, more than ever, we need your support.

Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.

Subscribe Now

or call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.

Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on brandonsun.com
  • Read the Brandon Sun E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
Start now

No thanks

*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.00 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.00 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 28/07/2022 (1303 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

REGINA – The Canadian Judicial Council says a review of complaints against a Saskatchewan judge has been put on hold until there is a court decision on an appeal in the case.

Complaints were filed with the council in June by two of five women who accused Sylvester Ukabam, a former Regina doctor, of touching them inappropriately during medical exams between 2010 and 2017.

The women cannot be named due to a publication ban.

Sylvester Ukabam stands in front of Court of Queen's Bench in Regina on Wednesday, May 18, 2022, following the conclusion of his trial. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Mickey Djuric
Sylvester Ukabam stands in front of Court of Queen's Bench in Regina on Wednesday, May 18, 2022, following the conclusion of his trial. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Mickey Djuric

Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Brian Scherman acquitted Ukabam in May of seven counts of sexual assault.

In the complaints, the two women say the judge’s written ruling was filled with misogyny, ignorance and gender bias.

The Crown filed a notice of appeal last month.

A spokesperson for the judicial council says the complaint process has been paused because issues that gave rise to the complaints may be addressed in the appeal.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Uncategorized

LOAD MORE