Honolulu records 6th death from massive explosion of illegal fireworks over New Year’s

Advertisement

Advertise with us

HONOLULU (AP) — A sixth person died Wednesday from injuries sustained when crates of illegal fireworks ignited during a New Year’s Eve party in a Honolulu neighborhood, setting off a chain of explosions that left more than a dozen people with severe burns.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!

As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.

Now, more than ever, we need your support.

Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.

Subscribe Now

or call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.

Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on brandonsun.com
  • Read the Brandon Sun E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
Start now

No thanks

*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.00 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.00 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 05/02/2025 (382 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

HONOLULU (AP) — A sixth person died Wednesday from injuries sustained when crates of illegal fireworks ignited during a New Year’s Eve party in a Honolulu neighborhood, setting off a chain of explosions that left more than a dozen people with severe burns.

The 30-year-old woman died at a local hospital at about 5:59 a.m., the Honolulu Police Department said in a statement.

The others killed included a 3-year-old boy, three women and one man.

FILE - The home where a New Year's Eve fireworks explosion killed and injured people, in Honolulu, Jan. 1, 2025. (AP Photo/Marco Garcia, File)
FILE - The home where a New Year's Eve fireworks explosion killed and injured people, in Honolulu, Jan. 1, 2025. (AP Photo/Marco Garcia, File)

The blast set off fresh calls for a crackdown on illegal fireworks that have become increasingly more common in Hawaii. Contraband explosives rock neighborhoods year-round but grow in frequency around the year-end holidays.

Police have so far arrested 10 people in connection with the explosion. Authorities accused them of reckless endangering, endangering the welfare of a minor and multiple fireworks offenses.

Police said they are working with prosecutors to file charges but it is taking time due to the number of people arrested, large volume of evidence being examined and fireworks being tested.

Authorities seized 500 pounds (227 kilograms) of unused fireworks from the scene.

Police said they expect to make more arrests.

Hawaii Gov. Josh Green has proposed allowing police to issue $300 tickets to those who shoot off fireworks and imposing potential class A felony charges and decades in prison on those whose use of fireworks leads to serious injury or death. The state Department of Law Enforcement has asked the Legislature for $5.2 million to hire eight people and expand a forensic lab to counter rampant fireworks smuggling.

Six of the injured were flown to a burn center in Arizona for treatment last month because Hawaii’s only burn care facility reached capacity with the wounded from the incident. One of them, a 29-year-old man, died last week.

Report Error Submit a Tip

World

LOAD MORE