A landslide at a landfill in the capital of Guinea kills 30 people, officials say

Advertisement

Advertise with us

CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) — A mountainous heap of refuse collapsed at the largest landfill in Guinea 's capital Conakry early Sunday killing 30 people, according to an updated toll released by the central government.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!

As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.

Now, more than ever, we need your support.

Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.

Subscribe Now

or call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.

Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on brandonsun.com
  • Read the Brandon Sun E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
Start now

*Your next Free Press subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) — A mountainous heap of refuse collapsed at the largest landfill in Guinea ‘s capital Conakry early Sunday killing 30 people, according to an updated toll released by the central government.

Authorities said heavy rains, which started at around 2 a.m. washed over the refuse at Dar Es Salam, triggering a landslide that buried nearby shacks. A search and rescue operation was underway to find survivors. Six people were seriously injured and several homes were destroyed.

The site, an open-air waste dump which is the largest in the city, had been designated for closure on Sunday, according to Lt. Col. Baldé Mamadou Bailo, the sanitation officer for the military engineering battalion.

Rescue workers search through a heap of refuse after it collapsed at Conakry’s largest landfill, Guinea, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Fodo Toure)
Rescue workers search through a heap of refuse after it collapsed at Conakry’s largest landfill, Guinea, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Fodo Toure)

Locals living around the landfill had been given eviction notices, which forced many to vacate the area, but many were still around at the time of the disaster, according to authorities.

“We will ensure that the remaining families are relocated elsewhere,” said Dienabou Touré, the minister of territorial administration and decentralization, at the scene.

Report Error Submit a Tip

World

LOAD WORLD ARTICLES