Former CFL standout Dequoy named to Canadian men’s flag football roster
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!
As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.
Now, more than ever, we need your support.
Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.
Subscribe Nowor call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.
Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on brandonsun.com
- Read the Brandon Sun E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
*Your next Free Press subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
OTTAWA – Marc-Antoine Dequoy isn’t finished with football.
The Canadian safety retired Feb. 2 after five seasons with the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes. On Thursday, the 31-year-old was among 16 players named to the Canadian men’s flag football roster following the team’s selection camp earlier this month in Winnipeg.
Dequoy, a Grey Cup champion and twice a CFL all-star, and the 15 others will attend the national team’s training camp in California in June. They’ll compete for berths on the Canadian squad that will participate in the 2026 world championship event in August in Duesseldorf, Germany, and chase a berth in the ’28 Los Angeles Games, where football will make its Olympic debut.
The top-two men’s and women’s teams in Germany will secure Olympic berths. If the United States reaches either final, the top-three squads will advance as the American teams have secured berths as host.
“We believe we are faster stronger and more athletic as a team than last year,” Canadian team head coach Paul LaPolice said in a statement. “We believe we have some of the best flag football players in the world and we are excited about how well they have continued to grow together and learn how to play the game of flag football at the highest levels.
“We expect to be competing for a medal in the world championships this season and we will diligently continue to work to achieve that goal this year.”
Former CFL quarterback Michael O’Connor and former NFL player Antony Auclair were among the players named to the Canadian roster. Other former CFL players on the list include cornerback Nick Statz and receivers Daniel Petermann and Daniel Vandervoort.
The Canadian women’s team also unveiled its 24-player roster following a selection camp earlier this month in Montreal. Among the players on it are quarterback Sara Parker, rusher Lea Duval, receivers Caroline Moquin-Joubert and Emma Racine and defensive back Catherine Gaumont — all who helped Canada take silver at last year’s International Federation of American Football (IFAF) Continental championship in Panama City.
“This group is explosive, smart and fearless,” said Canadian head coach Rachel Lessard. “We rise through chaos, we love pressure, and we chase the toughest competition.
“Our culture is built for big moments. With the pieces we have in place, I feel we have everything we need to stand strong and be competitive on the world stage.”
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 21, 2026.