‘Leave it all out there’: Canadiens poised for another Game 7 showdown

Advertisement

Advertise with us

BUFFALO - Kaiden Guhle and his teammates would have gladly accepted their current predicament eight months ago.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!

As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.

Now, more than ever, we need your support.

Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.

Subscribe Now

or call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.

Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on brandonsun.com
  • Read the Brandon Sun E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
Start now

*Your next Free Press subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

BUFFALO – Kaiden Guhle and his teammates would have gladly accepted their current predicament eight months ago.

The Canadiens were coming off a breakthrough 2024-25 campaign — one that saw them emerge from a rebuild and return to the playoffs — when the club reconvened for training camp. 

Hopes were high for a young Montreal roster, but pushing through and getting to another level would be a challenge.

Montreal Canadiens defenceman Kaiden Guhle (21) and goaltender Jakub Dobes (75) celebrate their Game 5 victory over the Sabres in Buffalo, N.Y., on Friday, May 8, 2026. (AP Photo/Jeffrey T. Barnes)
Montreal Canadiens defenceman Kaiden Guhle (21) and goaltender Jakub Dobes (75) celebrate their Game 5 victory over the Sabres in Buffalo, N.Y., on Friday, May 8, 2026. (AP Photo/Jeffrey T. Barnes)

Despite a bitterly disappointing home performance in Game 6 of their second-round playoff series against the Buffalo Sabres, the Canadiens still have everything to play for with a do-or-die chance to make the NHL’s Eastern Conference final on deck Monday.

“If you told us in September we’d be in the second round in Game 7 in Buffalo, we’d be pretty happy,” Guhle, a hard-nosed defenceman, said at the team’s hotel in the hours before puck drop. 

“Leave it all out there.”

Montreal built an early 3-1 lead at the Bell Centre on Saturday night before the visitors scored the next seven goals in a disastrous and embarrassing 8-3 loss that forced a winner-take-all finale.

“We’re a bunch of brothers in there,” Guhle said. “A lot of us have gone through this together … the rebuild and a couple tough years, and last year squeaking into the playoffs. 

“I think it makes this moment, and where we’re at right now, so much more special. We’ve all gone through all that together. It’s a tight group. You want to do this for each other.”

Montreal made this spring’s second round thanks to a Game 7 victory — also on the road — over the Tampa Bay Lightning when goaltender Jakub Dobes played out of his mind in a 2-1 victory.

The Canadiens were fortunate to get out of Florida with a pulse that night, and know they need a much better performance against the Sabres at what will be a rocking KeyBank Center.

“Might have been gripping our sticks a little bit too tight in that game,” Guhle said looking back. “Same thing with Game 6 — just go play.”

The Canadiens own a 16-9 record in Game 7s all-time, while the Sabres are 1-6, with their only victory coming on home ice in 1997 against the Ottawa Senators.

Montreal head coach Martin St. Louis was 6-2 as a player in winner-take-all matchups before claiming another from behind the bench last round.

“It’s not about being perfect,” said the Hall of Fame winger. “It’s about finding a way.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 18, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Sports Breaking News

LOAD SPORTS BREAKING NEWS ARTICLES