Sports Breaking News

Sports Breaking News

Sorry, Arsenal fans, but a public holiday for you in Botswana is fake news

The Associated Press 1 minute read Yesterday at 12:16 PM CDT

CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) — Arsenal soccer fans in the southern African country of Botswana thought they had another reason to rejoice: a public holiday to celebrate their team's first Premier League title in 22 years.

Unfortunately for them, Botswana's government said a notice announcing they could have the day off Wednesday in celebration was fake news.

The government posted the so-called official statement on X with the words "FAKE" in red across it. The government posted: “No, there is no holiday for Arsenal fans.”

The fake statement circulating online — complete with a Republic of Botswana coat of arms and a stamp from the office of the president — said President Duma Boko had rewarded Arsenal fans for their “passion, loyalty and unwavering support.”

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Weather

May. 21, 6 AM: 8°c Cloudy May. 21, 12 PM: 16°c Cloudy with wind

Brandon MB

11°C, Light rain

Full Forecast

Sports Breaking News

Scores and schedule for Wednesday, May 20, 2026

The Canadian Press 2 minute read Yesterday at 11:44 PM CDT

Wednesday's Scoreboard

NHL Playoffs

Western Conference Final

Best-of-Seven Series

Vegas 4 Colorado 2

Baseball

Trey Yesavage outduels Cam Schlittler in marquee matchup as Blue Jays top Yankees 2-1

Jerry Beach, The Associated Press 2 minute read Preview

Trey Yesavage outduels Cam Schlittler in marquee matchup as Blue Jays top Yankees 2-1

Jerry Beach, The Associated Press 2 minute read Yesterday at 11:45 PM CDT

NEW YORK (AP) — Trey Yesavage outpitched Cam Schlittler in a marquee matchup between young aces, and the Toronto Blue Jays edged the New York Yankees 2-1 on Wednesday night.

Following a rain delay that lasted more than two hours, the right-handers traded zeros until the seventh inning — when Toronto loaded the bases with nobody out on an infield single, a walk and a bunt single. 

Andrés Giménez then fouled off seven pitches, five with two strikes, before drawing an 11-pitch walk that scored Ernie Clement and chased Schlittler. One out later, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. lofted a sacrifice fly against Jake Bird to make it 2-0.

Yesavage (2-1) allowed just two hits and walked none while striking out eight over six shutout innings. The 22-year-old, who retained his rookie status after throwing 14 regular-season innings last year, has a 1.07 ERA in five starts after missing the first month this season due to a right shoulder impingement.

Read
Yesterday at 11:45 PM CDT

Soccer

Aston Villa and Prince William celebrate Europa League triumph ending team’s 30-year trophy drought

James Robson, The Associated Press 2 minute read Preview

Aston Villa and Prince William celebrate Europa League triumph ending team’s 30-year trophy drought

James Robson, The Associated Press 2 minute read Yesterday at 4:01 PM CDT

In front of the future king of England, Unai Emery reaffirmed his status as the king of the Europa League.

Aston Villa beat Freiburg 3-0 in Istanbul on Wednesday to secure Emery a record-extending fifth title in this competition.

Celebrating wildly inside the Tupras Stadium was lifelong Villa fan Prince William, who traveled to watch his beloved team end a 30-year wait for a major trophy.

Was the outcome ever in doubt with the ultimate Europa League specialist Emery on the sideline?

Read
Yesterday at 4:01 PM CDT

Soccer

PBO says Canadian governments set to spend $1 billion to host World Cup

Anja Karadeglija, The Canadian Press 3 minute read Preview

PBO says Canadian governments set to spend $1 billion to host World Cup

Anja Karadeglija, The Canadian Press 3 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:55 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Canada will spend just over $1 billion to host the World Cup this summer, the federal budget watchdog said Wednesday.

That sum includes money from all levels of government. The federal government's contribution is expected to be $473 million.

The $1.066 billion total averages to $82 million per game for the 13 games that will be played in Toronto and Vancouver.

The parliamentary budget officer says that's roughly in line with what previous host countries spent.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:55 PM CDT

Sports Breaking News

‘Grateful’: Charge’s MacLeod reflects on season of adversity after Walter Cup loss

Lisa Wallace, The Canadian Press 3 minute read Preview

‘Grateful’: Charge’s MacLeod reflects on season of adversity after Walter Cup loss

Lisa Wallace, The Canadian Press 3 minute read Yesterday at 11:43 PM CDT

OTTAWA - By all accounts, Carla MacLeod didn’t need to be behind the Ottawa Charge bench this season.

No one would have blamed the head coach for wanting to step away after sharing she had been diagnosed with breast cancer in late November, but MacLeod is not one to step away from a challenge.

Aside from taking two brief hiatuses to undergo treatment, the Charge head coach was on hand for games and practices with her trademark smile and upbeat attitude. But there’s no denying the toll this season had on the 43-year-old.

The Charge’s season came to an end Wednesday night with a 4-0 loss to the Montreal Victoire, who captured the Walter Cup in four games. 

Read
Yesterday at 11:43 PM CDT

Sports Breaking News

Brittney Sykes, Marina Mabrey combine for 61 points as Tempo tip the Mercury 98-90

The Associated Press 2 minute read Preview

Brittney Sykes, Marina Mabrey combine for 61 points as Tempo tip the Mercury 98-90

The Associated Press 2 minute read Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

PHOENIX (AP) — Brittney Sykes had 31 points, Marina Mabrey added 30 points and six 3-pointers, and the Toronto Tempo beat the Phoenix Mercury 98-90 on Tuesday night.

Toronto created some separation in the WNBA matchup by starting the fourth quarter on a 12-4 run to take an 85-78 lead. Then Maria Conde and Kiki Rice each made a shot in the lane, sandwiched around a Phoenix turnover, to give the Tempo a 93-86 lead with 2:32 left.

Mabrey sank her sixth 3-pointer with 1:25 left from the corner to make it 96-90.

Toronto finished with a season-high 15 makes from behind the arc, while Phoenix went 4-of-22. 

Read
Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

Basketball

Jalen Brunson leads Knicks back from 22 down in the 4th for 115-104 win over Cavs in OT in Game 1

Brian Mahoney, The Associated Press 3 minute read Preview

Jalen Brunson leads Knicks back from 22 down in the 4th for 115-104 win over Cavs in OT in Game 1

Brian Mahoney, The Associated Press 3 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 2:09 AM CDT

NEW YORK (AP) — Jalen Brunson sparked one of the NBA's greatest postseason comebacks, a rally from a 22-point deficit in the fourth quarter, and finished with 38 points as New York beat the Cleveland Cavaliers 115-104 in overtime on Tuesday night in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals.

After a record-setting run through the first two rounds, the Knicks were going nowhere for 40 minutes against the Cavs, trailing 93-71 with 7:52 to play. But Brunson relentlessly attacked James Harden to spark an 18-1 run that made it a ballgame, and he tied it at 101-all on a basket with 19 seconds remaining in regulation.

Before that, Brunson said the message for the Knicks was just to finish strong so they would have momentum for Game 2, even if they lost the opener.

“Just keep fighting,” he said. “Keep chipping away. We’re not going to get it back in one possession.”

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 2:09 AM CDT

Hockey

NHL Coaches’ Association says it is monitoring the situation with Bruce Cassidy and Vegas

The Associated Press 2 minute read Preview

NHL Coaches’ Association says it is monitoring the situation with Bruce Cassidy and Vegas

The Associated Press 2 minute read Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

DENVER (AP) — The NHL Coaches’ Association said Tuesday it is closely monitoring the situation involving Bruce Cassidy amid reports that the Vegas Golden Knights have denied multiple teams permission to speak with him about working for them.

Cassidy was fired in late March and is still under contract through next season, so anyone wishing to interview him must get permission from the Golden Knights, according to league rules.

“It is our position that coaches who remain under contract, but are no longer working for their club, should not be prevented from pursuing other employment opportunities,” the Coaches' Association said in a statement. “It would be unprecedented at the head coaching level should multiple teams be denied permission to speak with Coach Cassidy. The situation is still unfolding, but our priority is to protect the interests of our members in this type of circumstance.”

Vegas has reportedly not allowed Pacific Division rivals Edmonton and Los Angeles to talk to Cassidy when asked since their seasons ended. Word of the Oilers' interest in Cassidy leaked last week before they fired Kris Knoblauch following a first-round playoff exit.

Read
Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

Sports Breaking News

Clark succeeding in shutdown role for Charge as Ottawa looks to even PWHL final

Lisa Wallace, The Canadian Press 4 minute read Preview

Clark succeeding in shutdown role for Charge as Ottawa looks to even PWHL final

Lisa Wallace, The Canadian Press 4 minute read Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

OTTAWA - Emily Clark’s contributions might not be showing up on the scoresheet in this post-season, but her success in a shutdown role has been big for the Ottawa Charge.

The Charge trail the Montréal Victoire 2-1 in the Professional Women’s Hockey League’s best-of-five Walter Cup final, with Game 4 set for Wednesday in Ottawa.

Clark has the unenviable task of shutting down the Montreal Victoire’s top line, featuring captain Marie-Philip Poulin.

Poulin has been held to just two assists through the first three games and Clark, along with linemates Gabbie Hughes and Peyton Hemp, have been instrumental in restricting her opportunities.

Read
Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

Sports Breaking News

Jenner, Pannek, Heise finalists for PWHL’s forward of the year

The Canadian Press 2 minute read Preview

Jenner, Pannek, Heise finalists for PWHL’s forward of the year

The Canadian Press 2 minute read Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

TORONTO - Brianne Jenner of the Ottawa Charge and Taylor Heise and Kelly Pannek of the Minnesota Frost were voted the three finalists for the Professional Women's Hockey League's forward of the year.

The winner will be announced at the PWHL's awards ceremony June 16 in Detroit.

Minnesota's Pannek led the PWHL in points (33) and goals (16) in the league's third season. Pannek became the second player to take both the points and goals titles in the same season after Toronto's Natalie Spooner (20 goals, seven assists) in 2024.

Heise, the PWHL's first overall pick in 2023, totalled 30 points behind her Frost teammate, including 13 goals. She set a PWHL single-season record with six multi-assist games.

Read
Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

Sports Breaking News

Mboko, Fernandez set to meet in all-Canadian quarterfinal at Strasbourg International

The Canadian Press 1 minute read Preview

Mboko, Fernandez set to meet in all-Canadian quarterfinal at Strasbourg International

The Canadian Press 1 minute read Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

STRASBOURG - Victoria Mboko and Leylah Fernandez will meet in an all-Canadian quarterfinal at the Strasbourg International tennis tournament.

Mboko, the top seed at the WTA 500 clay-court event, advanced with a 6-4, 6-3 win over 2025 French Open semifinalist Lois Boisson.

Earlier, seventh-seed Fernandez defeated Poland's Magdalena Frech 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.

Thursday's quarterfinal will mark the second meeting between the 19-year-old Mboko, from Burlington, Ont., and 23-year-old Fernandez of Laval, Que.

Read
Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

Sports Breaking News

Calgary school coach charged with sex offences against student

The Canadian Press 1 minute read Preview

Calgary school coach charged with sex offences against student

The Canadian Press 1 minute read Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

CALGARY - Police say a volunteer high school coach in Calgary is facing various sex charges.

They say the man met the girl when she was 15 and coached her at school, although they did not disclose the sport.

They allege he used his position of trust to groom the girl and abused her over the last two years.

Police received a report May 12, and the man was arrested the next day.

Read
Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

Hockey

Vancouver Canucks fire head coach Adam Foote, assistants after single season

Gemma Karstens-Smith, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Vancouver Canucks fire head coach Adam Foote, assistants after single season

Gemma Karstens-Smith, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

VANCOUVER - Newly minted general manager Ryan Johnson wants a new voice to lead the Vancouver Canucks into their next era.

He may not need to look far for the NHL team's new bench boss.

The Canucks fired head coach Adam Foote and assistant coaches Scott Young, Kevin Dean and Brett McLean on Tuesday after a single season on the job.

“This wasn't an easy day. They're great coaches, but great people. And I want to thank them personally," said Johnson, who was elevated from general manager of the American Hockey League's Abbotsford Canucks to Vancouver's general manager on Thursday.

Read
Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

Hockey

Vancouver Canucks fire head coach Adam Foote after one season

Gemma Karstens-Smith, The Canadian Press 1 minute read Preview

Vancouver Canucks fire head coach Adam Foote after one season

Gemma Karstens-Smith, The Canadian Press 1 minute read Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA - The Vancouver Canucks have fired head coach Adam Foote after a single season. 

The NHL team announced the news Tuesday, saying in a social media post that assistant coaches Scott Young, Kevin Dean and Brett McLean have also been dismissed.

Vancouver finished the season last in the league with a 25-49-8 record.

The team's defence struggled all season, giving up the most goals-against per game (3.83). The team also finished with the league's worst home record (7-27-5) and fewest regulation wins (15).

Read
Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

Soccer

Southampton expelled from English 2nd-division playoff final for spying on opponents

The Associated Press 1 minute read Preview

Southampton expelled from English 2nd-division playoff final for spying on opponents

The Associated Press 1 minute read Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

LONDON (AP) — Southampton was expelled from the Championship playoff on Tuesday after admitting to repeatedly spying on opponents.

The English Football League reinstated Middlesbrough to play in the final — the richest game in soccer — against Hull City on Saturday.

___

AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer

Read
Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

LOAD MORE SPORTS BREAKING NEWS ARTICLES