After ending 12-game winless skid, Toronto FC finally has momentum on its side

Advertisement

Advertise with us

TORONTO - With a 12-game winless skid finally in the past, Toronto FC has some rare momentum as it looks to make a push for the Major League Soccer post-season.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

We need your support!
Local journalism needs your support!

As we navigate through unprecedented times, our journalists are working harder than ever to bring you the latest local updates to keep you safe and informed.

Now, more than ever, we need your support.

Starting at $15.99 plus taxes every four weeks you can access your Brandon Sun online and full access to all content as it appears on our website.

Subscribe Now

or call circulation directly at (204) 727-0527.

Your pledge helps to ensure we provide the news that matters most to your community!

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Brandon Sun access to your Free Press subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on brandonsun.com
  • Read the Brandon Sun E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
Start now

*Your next Free Press subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $20.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

TORONTO – With a 12-game winless skid finally in the past, Toronto FC has some rare momentum as it looks to make a push for the Major League Soccer post-season.

TFC can record its first winning streak in over four months Wednesday with a victory over Charlotte FC at BMO Field. The matchup is sandwiched between a 2-1 win over New England last weekend and a Saturday game at league powerhouse Inter Miami.

Forward Theo Corbeanu felt Toronto was able to “unlock” something against the Revolution, adding the result provided a boost to team atmosphere at pre-game training.

Toronto FC midfielder Niklas Dorsch gets tripped up by New England Revolution midfielder Brooklyn Raines during a Major League Soccer game in Toronto on Aug. 15, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
Toronto FC midfielder Niklas Dorsch gets tripped up by New England Revolution midfielder Brooklyn Raines during a Major League Soccer game in Toronto on Aug. 15, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

“It’s a new feeling in the dressing room, it’s a new environment around the facility,” he said Tuesday after a team workout. “In training, everyone is that much happier to come in and enjoy themselves.”

New arrival Niklas Dorsch’s first MLS goal was the winner against the Revolution. It was Toronto’s first win since a 3-2 home victory over Colorado on April 4, which capped a stretch of three wins in four games.

“We know we can do so much better with the group we have,” said Corbeanu, a Hamilton native. “And yeah, I think there’s a lot more to come.”

The Reds looked like they had playoff potential in the early days of spring, but that faded in recent months as underperformance and injuries impacted the 4-7-8 club.

Captain Jonathan Osorio (knee) and forward Deandre Kerr (lower-body) remain out but defender Matheus Pereira could return after missing four months with a groin injury.

“I think he’s a tremendous player and we haven’t had the good fortune of being able to have him (most of the) year,” said head coach Robin Fraser. “Certainly having him back is a welcome thing.”

Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic won’t be available due to suspension. He was given a red card in the 76th minute against the Revolution.

Toronto opened the scoring on an own goal and took a 2-0 lead when Dorsch found the top corner from outside the penalty area. It was the second MLS game for the German midfielder, acquired last month from FC Heidenheim of the Bundesliga’s second division.

Mihailovic had an assist on the highlight-reel effort.

“Djordje is obviously very talented and usually involved in most of the good things that we do offensively,” Fraser said. “So it’ll be a loss not having him. But we’re at the time of year that we have to get results.

“Guys have to step up and guys have to play well. Regardless of who’s there or who’s not there, we have to get results.”

With 20 points, Toronto is four points out of a wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference standings with 15 games to play. D.C. United holds the last position with Orlando City FC three points back and the Columbus Crew four points behind.

Charlotte (8-7-4), meanwhile, has picked up four wins over seven games since the FIFA World Cup break to sit fifth in the East with 28 points.

“Coming back from the break, we’ve been understanding our roles a lot more than before, which is good,” Charlotte head coach Dean Smith said before departing for Toronto.

Pep Biel leads the attack with 10 goals and four assists this season. He scored in a 3-1 win over Toronto when the teams met last May at Bank of America Stadium.

Smith previously coached Toronto striker Josh Sargent at Norwich City of the English League Championship.

Sargent, who joined TFC as a designated player on a reported US$22-million transfer fee last winter, has three goals in 12 matches this season.

“He can be a threat in behind, he’s good in the air, he can make the ball stick,” Smith said. “It was no surprise to me that Toronto ended up paying a lot of money to bring him in.”

Charlotte has won its last four games against Toronto.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 18, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Sports Breaking News

LOAD SPORTS BREAKING NEWS ARTICLES